This article discusses what’s New in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio v17.4
One of the best things Microsoft did regarding SQL Server tools, was the separation of the SQL Server Management Studio’s (SSMS) distribution from SQL Server’s installation media. This allowed Microsoft to proceed faster with updating and enhancing SSMS on a frequent basis.
Therefore, since then, SSMS can be downloaded from the internet as a free tool.
New Additions in SQL Server Management Studio v17.4
Today, the powerful SSMS v17.3 is ready to be replaced by the even more powerful and enhanced SQL Server Management Studio v17.4.
So, what’s new in this amazing new release of SSMS?
Several updates and new stuff are included. For example, there is a bug fix for SMO, improvements and new report in Always On Dashboard, several enhancements in Showplan, and changes to XE Profiler.
Strengthen your SQL Server Administration Skills – Enroll to our Online Course!
Check our online course on Udemy titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips”
(special limited-time discount included in link).
Via the course, you will learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
However, in addition to the above, there is another great enhancement in SSMS v17.4 and that is “Vulnerability Assessment“.
Vulnerability Assessment is a special tool embedded in SSMS, which can help you track and remediate potential database vulnerabilities that might be caused by misconfigurations.
It can help you meet compliance requirements and data privacy standards, as well as monitor dynamic database environments that constantly change.
Below, you can find some screenshots of a vulnerability assessment I have just performed on a sample database using Vulnerability Assessment tool in SSMS v17.4
As you can see, each failed rule provides the below information:
- Rule Query
- Microsoft Recommendation
- Actual Result
You can also set a failed rule as a baseline (although I do not recommend to do that before you thoroughly check what does the failed rule means for your database environment).
In subsequent posts, we will study more in-depth the Vulnerability Assessment tool in SSMS.
By the way, you can find the full list of what’s new in SSMS v17.4 on the tool’s web page under the section “New in this Release”.
Featured Online Courses:
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- Working with Python on Windows and SQL Server Databases
- Introduction to Computer Programming for Beginners
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- Introduction to SQL Server Machine Learning Services
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server Databases
- Learn How to Install and Start Using SQL Server in 30 Mins
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
Feel free to check our other relevant articles on SQL Server troubleshooting:
- There is not enough space on the disk. (mscorlib)
- How to Resolve: Cannot Connect to WMI Provider (SQL Server Configuration Manager)
- Error converting data type varchar to numeric
- Error converting data type varchar to float
- SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: Unable to connect to server ‘(local)’; SQLServerAgent cannot start)
- ORDER BY items must appear in the select list if SELECT DISTINCT is specified
- There is no SQL Server Failover Cluster Available to Join
- There is insufficient system memory in resource pool ‘internal’ to run this query.
- … all SQL Server troubleshooting articles
Featured Database Productivity Tools
Snippets Generator: Create and modify T-SQL snippets for use in SQL Management Studio, fast, easy and efficiently.
Dynamic SQL Generator: Convert static T-SQL code to dynamic and vice versa, easily and fast.
Subscribe to our newsletterand stay up to date!
Check out our latest software releases!
Check our eBooks!
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA). Moreover, Artemakis teaches on Udemy, you can check his courses here.