This article discusses how you can resolve the error message: There is insufficient system memory in resource pool ‘internal’ to run this query. Even though you might get the above error message for different occasions, one thing is for sure (after all, the message is quite self-explanatory), it has to do with memory management. 🙂
Why you got the Insufficient System Memory Error
SQL Server allows you to limit the maximum memory that can be utilized by its Database Engine. You can use this feature in order to allow the OS to have access to memory that cannot be used by SQL Server and thus ensure stability. However you have to remember to re-evaluate this setting in the event of a memory upgrade on the machine.
You can perform the above action as follows:
Right click on instance name in SSMS – Select “Properties” – Select the “Memory” tab. You then get the below dialog (in this example I have set as maximum server memory 3GB):
The above method is a way to ensure OS stability by not allowing SQL Server to consume all memory in any case and by leaving an amount of memory available for the OS.
How to Resolve the Issue
Now, in the case you get the “There is insufficient system memory in resource pool ‘internal’ to run this query.” error you can try the following actions:
Run the T-SQL command:
ALTER RESOURCE GOVERNOR RESET STATISTICS; GO
If the above action does not solve the issue you can try to free-up more memory and eventually upgrade the memory capacity of the machine.
Other SQL Server troubleshooting articles to check on SQLNetHub:
- An object or column name is missing or empty
- Operating System Error 170 (Requested Resource is in use)
- There is no SQL Server Failover Cluster Available to Join
- Installing SQL Server 2016 on Windows Server 2012 R2: Rule KB2919355 failed
- Setup failed to start on the remote machine. Check the Task scheduler event log on the remote machine.
- A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process.
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack Installation Fails – Element not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070490)
- Could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo, Version=10.0.0.0, …
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date!
Check out our latest software releases!
Check out Artemakis’s eBooks!
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)