This article discusses how you can resolve the error message: There is insufficient system memory in resource pool ‘internal’ to run this query. Even though you might get the above error message for different occasions, one thing is for sure (after all, the message is quite self-explanatory), it has to do with memory management. 🙂
Why you got the Insufficient System Memory Error
SQL Server allows you to limit the maximum memory that can be utilized by its Database Engine. You can use this feature in order to allow the OS to have access to memory that cannot be used by SQL Server and thus ensure stability. However you have to remember to re-evaluate this setting in the event of a memory upgrade on the machine.
You can perform the above action as follows:
Right click on instance name in SSMS – Select “Properties” – Select the “Memory” tab. You then get the below dialog (in this example I have set as maximum server memory 3GB):
The above method is a way to ensure OS stability by not allowing SQL Server to consume all memory in any case and by leaving an amount of memory available for the OS.
How to Resolve the Issue
Now, in the case you get the “There is insufficient system memory in resource pool ‘internal’ to run this query.” error you can try the following actions:
Run the T-SQL command:
ALTER RESOURCE GOVERNOR RESET STATISTICS; GO
If the above action does not solve the issue you can try to free-up more memory and eventually upgrade the memory capacity of the machine.
Learn more tips like this! Enroll to our Online Course!
Check our online course titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips” (special limited-time discount included in link).
Learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
Featured Online Courses:
- AI Essentials: A Beginner’s Guide to Artificial Intelligence
- SQL Server 2022: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Working with Python on Windows and SQL Server Databases
- Introduction to Azure Database for MySQL
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- Introduction to Computer Programming for Beginners
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- Data Management for Beginners – Main Principles
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
Other SQL Server troubleshooting articles to check on SQLNetHub:
- The Database Engine system data directory in the registry is not valid
- An object or column name is missing or empty
- Operating System Error 170 (Requested Resource is in use)
- There is no SQL Server Failover Cluster Available to Join
- An error occurred in a SQL Server Service Broker/Database Mirroring transport connection endpoint (9642) – How to Resolve
- Installing SQL Server 2016 on Windows Server 2012 R2: Rule KB2919355 failed
- Setup failed to start on the remote machine. Check the Task scheduler event log on the remote machine.
- A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process.
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack Installation Fails – Element not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070490)
- Could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo, Version=10.0.0.0, …
- Fix: VS Shell Installation has Failed with Exit Code 1638
- Issue Adding Node to a SQL Server Failover Cluster – Greyed Out Service Account – How to Resolve
- initerrlog: could not open error log file. Operating system error=3 … – How to Resolve It
- Resolve SQL Server CTE Error – Incorrect syntax near ‘)’.
- SQL Server is Terminating Because of Fatal Exception 80000003 – How to Troubleshoot
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel (SQLNetHub TV)
Easily generate snippets with Snippets Generator!
Secure your databases using DBA Security Advisor!
Check our latest software releases!
Check our eBooks!
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior Database and Software Architect, Certified Database, Cloud and AI professional, Author, a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 20 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Moreover, Artemakis teaches on Udemy, you can check his courses here.