If you are trying to add a new node to an existing SQL Server failover cluster and you are getting the error message “There is no SQL Server failover cluster available to join“, then you follow the below procedure for resolving the issue.
Procedure for Resolving the “There is no SQL Server Failover Cluster Available to Join” Error Message
- Make sure that all cluster nodes are in the same domain
- Make sure that the node is added to the Windows Cluster
- Make sure that there are not any network restriction rules between the cluster nodes
- For example: use ping and telnet to test the communication between the cluster nodes
- Make sure that a possible faulty installation that took place in the past and terminated with errors, did not leave partial components installed on the node. If this is the case, consider cleaning up/uninstalling the partial components (if not used) prior to trying again to add the node to the cluster (warning: be very careful when removing components from a clustered installation of SQL Server – always backup your data).
- Make sure that you are using the same service account for the SQL Server Database Engine service for all nodes of the failover cluster (note: the service account must be a domain user account and not a local user on the nodes).
- Regarding the required permissions for the involved service accounts, check this MS Docs article, in order to check if the service accounts have adequate permissions.
- If all the above are OK and still you are experiencing the error message, then you should go through the MS Docs article on SQL Server failover cluster installation and make sure that you have followed the recommended steps.
Strengthen your SQL Server Administration Skills – Enroll to our Online Course!
Check our online course on Udemy titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips”
(special limited-time discount included in link).
Via the course, you will learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
Featured Online Courses:
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- Introduction to Data Science and SQL Server Machine Learning
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server Databases
- Learn How to Install and Start Using SQL Server in 30 Mins
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
- How to Patch a SQL Server Failover Cluster
- How to Add a Database to a SQL Server Availability Group Using T-SQL
- The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable
- Top 10 SQL Server DBA Daily Tasks List
- SQL Server Installation and Setup Best Practices
- The “Public” Database Role in SQL Server
- Encrypting a SQL Server Database Backup
- Learn Azure Data Lake Analytics by Example
- Azure Cosmos DB: Learn by Example
- How to Create an Azure SQL Server Virtual Machine
- How to Backup a SQL Server Database from On-Premises to Azure Storage
- SQL Server Versions Currently Supported and their End Dates
- … more
Check our other related SQL Server Troubleshooting articles.
Check out our latest software releases!
Check our eBooks!
Reference: SQLNetHub (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018) and a Udemy Instructor. He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA). Moreover, Artemakis teaches on Udemy, you can check his courses here.