If you are trying to add a new node to an existing SQL Server failover cluster and you are getting the error message “There is no SQL Server failover cluster available to join“, then you follow the below procedure for resolving the issue.
Procedure for Resolving the “There is no SQL Server Failover Cluster Available to Join” Error Message
- Make sure that all cluster nodes are in the same domain
- Make sure that the node is added to the Windows Cluster
- Make sure that there are not any network restriction rules between the cluster nodes
- For example: use ping and telnet to test the communication between the cluster nodes
- Make sure that a possible faulty installation that took place in the past and terminated with errors, did not leave partial components installed on the node. If this is the case, consider cleaning up/uninstalling the partial components (if not used) prior to trying again to add the node to the cluster (warning: be very careful when removing components from a clustered installation of SQL Server – always backup your data).
- Make sure that you are using the same service account for the SQL Server Database Engine service for all nodes of the failover cluster (note: the service account must be a domain user account and not a local user on the nodes).
- Regarding the required permissions for the involved service accounts, check this MS Docs article, in order to check if the service accounts have adequate permissions.
- If all the above are OK and still you are experiencing the error message, then you should go through the MS Docs article on SQL Server failover cluster installation and make sure that you have followed the recommended steps.
Learn more tips like this! Get the Online Course!
Check our online course titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips” (special limited-time discount included in link).
Learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
Featured Online Courses:
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips (new)
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming (new)
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New
- Entity Framework: Getting Started (Ultimate Beginners Guide)
- SQL Server Fundamentals (SQL Database for Beginners)
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server
- Get Started with SQL Server in 30 Minutes
Check our other related SQL Server Troubleshooting articles.
Check out our latest software releases!
Check our eBooks!
Reference: SQLNetHub (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, and a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA).