DBAs play a major role in the everyday operation of any organization that uses databases. However, the term “healthy database” is often misinterpreted.
In the databases world, a healthy database is not just a database that is online and is not corrupted.
A healthy database, and consequently an RDBMS instance, have also an “accepted” up-time percentage, consistent and available backups, have no significant index fragmentation percentages, and much more.
Learn more tips like this! Check our online course!
Check our online course on Udemy titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips” (special limited-time discount included in link).
Learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
All the above, and more, are things that DBAs must ensure every day.
The Top 10 SQL Server DBA Daily Tasks
Below, you can find my list of the “Top 10 SQL Server DBA Daily Tasks“.
This list suggests 10 critical tasks SQL Server DBAs must do every day, towards ensuring healthy databases and SQL Server instances.
Here’s my list:
- Check SQL Server Instance Up-time
- Check Last Full, Differential and Log Backup Times
- Check Failed SQL Agent Jobs in the Last 24 Hours
- Check Current Log for Failed Logins
- Check for Blocked Processes
- Check Top N Queries Based on Average CPU Time
- Check Drive Volumes Space
- Check Index Fragmentation
- Patch Management
- Self-Education and Improvement
Get the list here! It’s free!
Featured Online Courses:
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals (SQL Database for Beginners)
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming
- .NET Programming for Beginners: Windows Forms (C#)
- Introduction to Data Science and SQL Server Machine Learning
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New
- Entity Framework: Getting Started (Ultimate Beginners Guide)
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server
- Get Started with SQL Server in 30 Minutes
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
- SQL Server Versions Currently Supported and their End Dates
- How to rebuild all the indexes of a database in SQL Server
- How to Patch a SQL Server Failover Cluster
- Where are temporary tables stored in SQL Server?
- Error converting data type varchar to float
- What are SQL Server Statistics and Where are they Stored?
- … more SQL Server Administration articles
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, and a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA).