In some cases where you might try to launch SQL Server Configuration Manager, you might get the error message: Cannot connect to WMI provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable. Note that you can only manage SQL Server 2005 and later servers with SQL Server Configuration Manager.
Invalid namespace [0x8004100e]
Is SQL Server Configuration Manager Really Needed?
Easy answer: of course it is!
Even though you can still control SQL Server services via Windows Services (services.msc), in order to have full control, you still need SQL Server Configuration Manager.
For example, if you want to set up SQL Server in order to use SSL certificate you need SQL Server Configuration Manager.
Moreover, if you want to change the network settings for your SQL Server services, again, you will need SQL Server Configuration Manager.
There are more examples that can justify the usefulness of SQL Server Configuration Manager but, I’m pretty sure you got the picture 🙂
Learn more tips like this! Get the Online Course!
Check our online course titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips” (special limited-time discount included in link).
Learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
Why I Got this Error Message?
If you performed several installations and uninstallations of SQL Server components on the machine, then under certain circumstances thi might cause the abovementioned issue with SQL Server Configuration Manager.
How to Get SQL Server Configuration to Work Again
As per Microsoft’s official support documentation, you can easily fix this issue.
So, in order to fix the issue, you can open an elevated command prompt (Run as Administrator) and execute the below command, after of course you replace “number” with the version of SQL Server in terms of number.
mofcomp "%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft SQL Server\number\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"
In order to find the right version number, please check the below table:
|SQL Server Version||Version Number|
So, if for example, you want to fix the SQL Server 2016 Configuration Manager, you would run the below command in an elevated command prompt (Run as Administrator):
mofcomp "%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"
An Alternative Way to Launch SQL Server Configuration Manager
Last but not least, there is an alternative approach to start SQL Server Configuration Manager. Again, from the command line, you can run the corresponding command for each SQL Server version as provided in the below table:
|SQL Server Version||Command|
Featured Online Courses:
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips (new)
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming (new)
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New
- Entity Framework: Getting Started (Ultimate Beginners Guide)
- SQL Server Fundamentals (SQL Database for Beginners)
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server
- Get Started with SQL Server in 30 Minutes
Feel free to check our other relevant articles on SQL Server troubleshooting:
- Error converting data type varchar to numeric
- Error converting data type varchar to float
- SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: Unable to connect to server ‘(local)’; SQLServerAgent cannot start)
- ORDER BY items must appear in the select list if SELECT DISTINCT is specified
- There is no SQL Server Failover Cluster Available to Join
- There is insufficient system memory in resource pool ‘internal’ to run this query.
- The SELECT permission was denied on the object ‘extended_properties’, database ‘mssqlsystemresource’, schema ‘sys’.
- … all SQL Server troubleshooting articles
Featured Database Productivity Tools
Snippets Generator: Create and modify T-SQL snippets for use in SQL Management Studio, fast, easy and efficiently.
Dynamic SQL Generator: Convert static T-SQL code to dynamic and vice versa, easily and fast.
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date!
Check out our latest software releases!
Check our eBooks!
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, and a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA).