So, you have a clustered SQL Server instance (FCI), you try to move (fail over) the entire role to another node of the cluster and you get the below error message:
Error Code: 0x80071398
The operation failed because either the specified cluster node is not the owner of the group, or the node is not a possible owner of the group
This error message is quite self-explanatory but hey, if you are under pressure at the time you get this error, you might need some help. This short, straight to the point post is here to help you.
So, if we are talking about a SQL Server Failover Clustered Instance (FCI) on a Windows Cluster, then there are 2 things that you should definitely check.
You need to make sure that you have indeed added SQL Server as a node to the cluster via SQL Server’s Installation Center – “Add node to SQL Server failover cluster”
In Failover Cluster Manager, go to the SQL Server role that does not fail over to the other node(s), then to the “Resources” tab (see the bottom of the screen on the left), enter the Properties (right click – properties) for every single resouce (i.e. disks, network name, IP, SQL Server service, SQL Server Agent service, etc.) and by navigating to the “Advanced Policies” tab make sure that the node onto which you are trying to move the SQL Server role is checked as a Possible Owner.
Well, that’s it! I don’t think that there is anything else to check for the specific error message, rather the above two things.
Strengthen your SQL Server Administration Skills – Enroll to our Online Course!
Check our online course on Udemy titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips”
(special limited-time discount included in link).
Via the course, you will learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
Recommended Online Courses:
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- Introduction to Data Science and SQL Server Machine Learning
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server Databases
- Learn How to Install and Start Using SQL Server in 30 Mins
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
Feel free to check our other relevant articles on SQL Server troubleshooting:
- How to Resolve: Bulk load data conversion error (type mismatch or invalid character for the specified codepage)…
- How to Resolve: Cannot Connect to WMI Provider (SQL Server Configuration Manager)
- Error converting data type varchar to numeric
- There is not enough space on the disk. (mscorlib)
- A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server
- Error converting data type varchar to float
- SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: Unable to connect to server ‘(local)’; SQLServerAgent cannot start)
- ORDER BY items must appear in the select list if SELECT DISTINCT is specified
- There is no SQL Server Failover Cluster Available to Join
- There is insufficient system memory in resource pool ‘internal’ to run this query.
- The SELECT permission was denied on the object ‘extended_properties’, database ‘mssqlsystemresource’, schema ‘sys’.
- … all SQL Server troubleshooting articles
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date!
Check out our latest software releases!
Check out Artemakis’s eBooks!
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018) and a Udemy Instructor. He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA). Moreover, Artemakis teaches on Udemy, you can check his courses here.