In May 2019, Microsoft announced that the first preview of Entity Framework 6.3 was available on NuGet. Entity Framework 6.3 will be the first version of Entity Framework 6 that can run on .NET Core and therefore, work cross-platform.
This development, will make it easier to migrate existing applications that use Entity Framework 6 to .NET Core 3.0.
Read on, to learn more about it!
More Information about Entity Framework 6.3 Preview
- Currently in Preview
- The first version of Entity Framework 6 that can run on .NET Core
- Work cross-platform
- Easier to migrate existing applications that use Entity Framework 6 to .NET Core 3.0.
- .NET Core 3.0 is currently in Preview (5)
What’s New in Entity Framework 6.3 Preview
- Ability to migrate apps that use EF 6 to .NET Core 3.0
- Support for NuGet PackageReferences (when completed)
- Migration commands running on projects (using the new .NET project system)
- Bug fixes
- Community contributions
Getting Started with Entity Framework 6.3 on .NET Core 3.0
To get started with Entity Framework 6.3 Preview, you will need to download and install .NET Core 3.0 and then create a .NET Core 3.0 project in Visual Studio, and install the Entity Framework 6.3 Preview via NuGet using the below command:
Install-Package EntityFramework -pre
Learn more about Entity Framework – Enroll to our Online Course!
Check our online course “Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide” to learn all about Entity Framework.
In this course, you will learn all about Entity Framework and Entity Framework Core on both Windows and Linux, what it is, how it works, what are its available workflows and their pros and cons. To this end, you will learn how to connect your C# Applications to SQL Server Database with Entity Framework and its workflows.
Featured Online Courses:
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- Introduction to Data Science and SQL Server Machine Learning
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server Databases
- Learn How to Install and Start Using SQL Server in 30 Mins
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
Check our other related Entity Framework and .NET articles:
- Infographic: An Introduction to Entity Framework
- The ADO .NET Entity Framework
- The Entity Framework – Part 1 – Introduction
- Screencast: How to Create an Entity Data Model
- Screencast: Using Inheritance in the ADO .NET Entity Framework
- Entity Framework: Code First
- The Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped
- Using the C# SqlParameter Object for Writing More Secure Code
- Cannot declare instance members in a static class
- Cannot implicitly convert type ‘string’ to ‘System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewTextBoxColumn
- Microsoft SSIS Service failed to start. Configuration system failed to initialize
- What’s New in SQL Server 2019
- Learn Azure SQL Database: Creating your First Database
- Getting Started with SQL Server on Linux
- How to Create an Azure SQL Server Virtual Machine
- How to Backup a SQL Server Database from On-Premises to Azure Storage
- What is Azure Advisor?
Check our latest software releases!
Easily generate SQL code snippets with Snippets Generator!
Convert static T-SQL to dynamic and vice versa with Dynamic SQL Generator.
Secure your SQL Server instances with DBA Security Advisor.
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018) and a Udemy Instructor. He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA). Moreover, Artemakis teaches on Udemy, you can check his courses here.