In May 2019, Microsoft announced that the first preview of Entity Framework 6.3 was available on NuGet. Entity Framework 6.3 will be the first version of Entity Framework 6 that can run on .NET Core and therefore, work cross-platform.
This development, will make it easier to migrate existing applications that use Entity Framework 6 to .NET Core 3.0.
Read on, to learn more about it!
More Information about Entity Framework 6.3 Preview
- Currently in Preview
- The first version of Entity Framework 6 that can run on .NET Core
- Work cross-platform
- Easier to migrate existing applications that use Entity Framework 6 to .NET Core 3.0.
- .NET Core 3.0 is currently in Preview (5)
What’s New in Entity Framework 6.3 Preview
- Ability to migrate apps that use EF 6 to .NET Core 3.0
- Support for NuGet PackageReferences (when completed)
- Migration commands running on projects (using the new .NET project system)
- Bug fixes
- Community contributions
Getting Started with Entity Framework 6.3 on .NET Core 3.0
To get started with Entity Framework 6.3 Preview, you will need to download and install .NET Core 3.0 and then create a .NET Core 3.0 project in Visual Studio, and install the Entity Framework 6.3 Preview via NuGet using the below command:
Install-Package EntityFramework -pre
Watch video: What is Entity Framework and what are its Benefits?
Watch video: How to Create and Configure a Model in .NET Entity Framework Core Using Fluent API (Code First)
Learn more about Entity Framework – Enroll to our Online Course!
Check our online course “Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide” to learn all about Entity Framework.
In this course, you will learn all about Entity Framework and Entity Framework Core on both Windows and Linux, what it is, how it works, what are its available workflows and their pros and cons. To this end, you will learn how to connect your C# Applications to SQL Server Database with Entity Framework and its workflows.
Featured Online Courses:
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- Introduction to Azure Database for MySQL
- Working with Python on Windows and SQL Server Databases
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- Introduction to Computer Programming for Beginners
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- Introduction to SQL Server Machine Learning Services
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server Databases
- Learn How to Install and Start Using SQL Server in 30 Mins
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
Check our other related Entity Framework and .NET articles:
- Infographic: An Introduction to Entity Framework
- The ADO .NET Entity Framework
- The Entity Framework – Part 1 – Introduction
- Screencast: How to Create an Entity Data Model
- Screencast: Using Inheritance in the ADO .NET Entity Framework
- Entity Framework: Code First
- The Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped
- Using the C# SqlParameter Object for Writing More Secure Code
- Cannot declare instance members in a static class
- Cannot implicitly convert type ‘string’ to ‘System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewTextBoxColumn
- Microsoft SSIS Service failed to start. Configuration system failed to initialize
- What’s New in SQL Server 2019
- Learn Azure SQL Database: Creating your First Database
- Getting Started with SQL Server on Linux
- How to Create an Azure SQL Server Virtual Machine
- How to Backup a SQL Server Database from On-Premises to Azure Storage
- Tip of the Week No.19 – What is the Database First Workflow in Entity Framework?
- What is Azure Advisor?
Check our latest software releases!
Easily generate SQL code snippets with Snippets Generator!
Convert static T-SQL to dynamic and vice versa with Dynamic SQL Generator.
Secure your SQL Server instances with DBA Security Advisor.
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior Database and Software Architect, Certified Database, Cloud and AI professional, Author, a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 20 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Moreover, Artemakis teaches on Udemy, you can check his courses here.