In this article, we will be discussing about the error message: “Microsoft SSIS Service failed to start. Configuration system failed to initialize”. We will talk about what this error message means, as well as, how you can resolve it.
About the “Microsoft SSIS Service failed to start” Issue
It happened at some point to encounter problems with SQL Server Integration Services 11.0 (SSIS) not being able to start. This occurred on a Windows 2008 R2 server that has been regularly patched. After checking in Windows Event Viewer, I found the exact error message which was: Microsoft SSIS Service failed to start. Error: Configuration system failed to initialize.
The Unsuccessful Attempt to Resolve the Issue
The first thing I tried, was to change the service account used for starting SSIS and use for example “Local Service”. Unfortunately, the problem was not solved.
However, at some point it occurred to me that hey, I have written in the recent past another blog post that again had to do with services not being able to start and that it was .NET Framework-related stuff.
What Finally Solved the Issue
So, what I finally did, was to check the “machine.config” permissions under the “Security” tab in the file’s properties for both 32-bit and 64-bit .NET versions. These files can be found in:
There, while checking the permissions, I observed that the local users group, did not have access on the “machine.config” file of .NET Framework config. This is wrong, they should have.
So, right after the above troubleshooting exercise, I granted the two below file permissions on “machine.config” for the local users group:
- Read & execute
Right after the above action, SSIS started and worked like a charm!
Strengthen your SQL Server Administration Skills – Enroll to our Online Course!
Check our online course on Udemy titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips” (special limited-time discount included in link).
Via the course, you will learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
Featured Online Courses:
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- Introduction to Data Science and SQL Server Machine Learning
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server Databases
- Learn How to Install and Start Using SQL Server in 30 Mins
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
Check our other related .NET articles:
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms (C#)
- Using ClickOnce for Deploying your .NET Windows Forms Apps
- The Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped
- Using the C# SqlParameter Object for Writing More Secure Code
- Cannot declare instance members in a static class
- Cannot implicitly convert type ‘string’ to ‘System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewTextBoxColumn
- The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date!
Check out our latest software releases!
Check out Artemakis’s eBooks!
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
© 2018 SQLNetHub
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, and a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA).