The error message “SQL Server error 18456: Login failed for user <username>‘” may appear, under certain circumstances, when you attempt to access your SQL Server database using a specified username and password. In this article, we’ll be discussing about how you can resolve the issue.
How to Resolve the “Login Failed for User” Error
This error indicates that something went wrong during the authentication procedure and access has been denied to the user identified by <username>. This error can occur for a few typical reasons. Checking the credentials again is a good idea because they can be the main reason for getting this message.
It might also be the result of the user having insufficient permissions, problems with the authentication mode, or difficulties with login management. You must check the user’s permissions, the credentials, and the configuration of the authentication mechanism in order to resolve this error.
Let’s See an Example
For example, if you try to log in using the username “johnsmith” but receive the error message “SQL Server error 18456: Login failed for user “johnsmith””, you should verify that your login information is accurate and that the “johnsmith” user has the appropriate access rights to the database.
You must look at the authentication setup, user permissions, and supplied credentials in order to fix this error. You can solve the problem and log into the SQL Server database by taking care of these issues.
Strengthen your SQL Server Administration Skills – Enroll to our Online Course!
Enroll to our online course on Udemy titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips”
(special limited-time discount included in link).
Via the course, you will learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
Featured Online Courses:
- AI Essentials: A Beginner’s Guide to Artificial Intelligence
- SQL Server 2022: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Working with Python on Windows and SQL Server Databases
- Introduction to Azure Database for MySQL
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- Introduction to Computer Programming for Beginners
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- Data Management for Beginners – Main Principles
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
- Announcing the Arrival of “AI Essentials: A Beginner’s Guide to Artificial Intelligence”
- Advanced SQL Server Features and Techniques for Experienced DBAs
- SQL Server 2022: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features (Course Preview)
- SQL Server 2022 Generally Available!
- An existing History Table cannot be specified with LEDGER=ON – How to Resolve
- SQL Server 2022 Overview: A Hybrid Data Platform
- Azure Synapse Link in SQL Server 2022
- What is Data Management and why it is Important?
- What is Data Security and which are its Main Characteristics?
- Data Security vs. Data Privacy
- What are NoSQL Databases?
- Differences Between Batch and Streaming Data
- What is Data Compliance within the Data Management Scope?
- How to Connect to SQL Server Databases from a Python Program
- How to Resolve: [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified (0) (SQLDriverConnect)
- Useful Python Programming Tips
- Main Data Structures in Python
- Working with Python on Windows and SQL Server Databases (Course Preview)
- How to Write to a Text File from a C++ Program
- How to Establish a Simple Connection from a C# Program to SQL Server
- SQL Server Error 262: CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database – How to Resolve
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel (SQLNetHub TV)
Check our eBooks!
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou, a distinguished Senior Database and Software Architect, brings over 20 years of expertise to the IT industry. A Certified Database, Cloud, and AI professional, he earned the Microsoft Data Platform MVP title for nine consecutive years (2009-2018). As the founder of SQLNetHub and GnoelixiAI Hub, Artemakis is dedicated to sharing his knowledge and democratizing education on various fields such as: Databases, Cloud, AI, and Software Development. His commitment to simplicity and knowledge sharing defines his impactful presence in the tech community.