This short post, discusses about installing SSIS on a SQL Server Failover Cluster Instance and how you can resolve the error message:
The instance selected for installation is already installed and clustered
on computer [ComputerName]. To continue, select a different instance to cluster.
Reproducing the Error Message
If you have already deployed a SQL Server Instance on Windows Failover Cluster and you want to add SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) on that cluster, if you try to do this via the installation option “Add features to an existing instance of SQL Server …” then you will get the below error message:
Rule “Existing clustered or cluster-prepared instance” failed.
The instance selected for installation is already installed and clustered on computer [ComputerName]. To continue, select a different instance to cluster.
Why You Get the Error Message?
Getting the above error message is absolutely normal. The reason is that SSIS does not provide native support for Windows Failover Clustering, therefore, you get the above error message.
How to Properly Install SSIS on a SQL Server Failover Cluster Instance
As explained above, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) do not provide native support for Windows Failover Clustering. Therefore, you cannot add it as a feature on an existing SQL Server Failover Cluster.
However, what you can do, is to individually install it on each node that participates to the Windows Failover Cluster.
Therefore, instead of selecting the option “Add features to an existing instance of SQL Server …”, you should do the following on each node that participates to the Failover Cluster:
- Start the SQL Server Installation Center
- Select “Perform a new installation of SQL Server ..“
- In the list of features, select only “Integration Services“
- Re-Patch the node with the same service pack/cumulative update used for patching the SQL Server instance.
After performing the above, you will end up having SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) running on all nodes of the failover cluster.
Using SQL Server Integration Services on a Failover Cluster
Further using SSIS on the failover cluster, involves programmatically and procedurally taking into consideration, that the SQL Server instance is clustered.
Learn More! Check our Master Class “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips”
Check our online course titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips” (special limited-time discount included in link).
Learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
Featured Online Courses:
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New
- Entity Framework: Getting Started (Ultimate Beginners Guide)
- SQL Server Fundamentals (SQL Database for Beginners)
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server
- Get Started with SQL Server in 30 Minutes
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
Related SQL Server Administration Articles:
- Essential SQL Sever Administration Tips
- How to Patch a Standalone SQL Server Instance
- The SQL Server Browser Service and UDP Port 1434
- The Maximum Number of Concurrent Connections Setting in SQL Server
- Top 10 SQL Server DBA Daily Tasks List
- There is no SQL Server Failover Cluster Available to Join
- Encrypting a SQL Server Database Backup
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, and a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA).