Hi friends. Here’s a quick tip on Windows Clustering and Windows Disk Management and specifically on how to handle the error message “The parameter is incorrect” when working with disks and mount points.
Why you get the “Parameter is Incorrect” Error Message
Most probably, under certain circumstances, you get the above error message when attempting to create a new mount point in an existing Windows cluster for a new disk.
Consider the below scenario: You have a Windows Cluster environment, which has a root volume R: and two 3 mount points as per below:
Each mount point is actually a separate disk. Also R:\ is a separate disk, and it is the root volume for the above 3 mount points.
All the above disks/mount points, already exist in the cluster. If you go to Failover Cluster Manager and navigate to “Disks” you will see all the above disks/mount points there.
Now, consider that you added a new disk in Windows and you are trying to create a new mount point for this disk. Let’s say you want to create the mount point R:\DBData2.
If you just try to directly create the mount point for the new disk in Windows Disk Management you will get the error “The parameter is incorrect“.
How to Resolve the Issue
The reason you get the above error message when trying to create the mount point, is that you first need to add the disk in the cluster storage via Failover Cluster Manager.
So, in order to be able to create the mount point, you need to follow the below 2-step approach:
- Add the new disk in the cluster as available storage via the Failover Cluster Manager – Storage – Disks – Add Disk.
- Then via Windows Disk Management in the active node, create the mount point for the disk.
Check our Master Class: Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
Check our 6-hour online course titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips” (special limited-time discount included in link).
Learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
Featured Online Courses:
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips (new)
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming (new)
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New
- Entity Framework: Getting Started (Ultimate Beginners Guide)
- SQL Server Fundamentals (SQL Database for Beginners)
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server
- Get Started with SQL Server in 30 Minutes
Related SQL Server Administration Articles:
- How to Find the OS Version of your SQL Server Machine – Single vs Many Machines
- Essential SQL Sever Administration Tips
- How to Patch a Standalone SQL Server Instance
- The SQL Server Browser Service and UDP Port 1434
- The Maximum Number of Concurrent Connections Setting in SQL Server
- Top 10 SQL Server DBA Daily Tasks List
- There is no SQL Server Failover Cluster Available to Join
- Encrypting a SQL Server Database Backup
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, and a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA).