This article, discusses about the necessity of securing your SQL Server instances and databases.
Database Management Systems (DBMSs) store data. They sure have added functionality and a huge set of significant features but again, in the end of the day, they store data. Your data. This makes your DBMSs one of the most valuable assets in your Organization and that’s why you need to keep them as secure as possible during their entire life cycle within your Organization.
Why You Need to Secure Your SQL Server Instances
SQL Server is a very powerful data platform and part of this power, is to allow the user to control different settings, thus making it work the best for his/her needs. However, as in all systems, if these settings are misconfigured, or the proper precautions are not taken on the user’s side, then along with the functionality the user wants to enable, he or she possibly will create security risks.
Example: The Password Expiration Option
Take for example, the ‘Password Expiration’ option. In case you have a SQL login which is used as a service account, then this could be a reason for not to have the ‘Password Expiration’ enabled for that login. If however, you have an SQL login which is used by a physical person and the ‘Password Expiration’ option is not enabled, this increases the risk of having the password guessed more easily than in the case where the password expires every X days (i.e. every 90 days) and thus the user needs to enter a new one.
Other examples of security risks are: using the same password as the username for SQL Logins, having ‘xp_cmdshell’ enabled without really needing it and without the proper design and accesses, having the BUILTIN Administrators local windows group on the database server as SysAdmins, etc.
There are many settings which can be incorrectly set by the user, either because of naivety, or lack of deep understanding about these settings, or any other reason.
By the time a DBMS hosts a single database, it is critical that you keep that DBMS instance as secure as possible. Misconfiguring your instance can be a source of vulnerabilities so you need to periodically check you instance about related security risks and take remediation actions when and where needed.
Strengthen your SQL Server Administration Skills – Enroll to our Online Course!
Check our online course on Udemy titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips”
(special limited-time discount included in link).
Via the course, you will learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
DBA Security Advisor helps you assess your SQL Server instances for security risks and misconfigurations
DBA Security Advisor, is our powerful SQL Server security tool, which assesses SQL Server instances for potential security risks and misconfigurations, based on a proven best practices set of security checks. Furthermore it provides recommendations for the detected security risks as well as remediation scripts and methods.
DBA Security Advisor comes in two editions: (i) A Trial Version which is free but with a limited set of security checks and limited functionality, and (ii) An Enterprise Edition where all security checks and other features are available. You can compare the available features per edition on this link.
The workflow of DBA Security Advisor (Enterprise Edition) is very straightforward:
1. You connect to a single or multiple SQL Server instances.
2. You select the security checks to run against the connected SQL Server instance(s) and run the assessment.
3. You go through the generated report with the security findings.
4. You study the recommendations and remediation scripts/methods and act accordingly towards resolving the security risks.
5. You re-run the security assessment and check if the previously-reported security risks have been eliminated after you took actions.
I believe that you will find DBA Security Advisor extremely useful. It will help you secure your SQL Server instances, as well as become compliant with a large number of security best practice factors. Test the free 30-day Trial Version today which is free, and after you are convinced that DBA Security Advisor can help you in your everyday SQL Server administration and hardening process, you can consider upgrading to the Enterprise Edition, and thus unlock all security checks and the rest of its powerful features.
Watch the Video: How to Secure Your SQL Server Instances
Featured Online Courses
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- Introduction to Data Science and SQL Server Machine Learning
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server Databases
- Learn How to Install and Start Using SQL Server in 30 Mins
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
Other SQL Server Security-Related Articles
- How to Enable SSL Certificate-Based Encryption on a SQL Server Failover Cluster
- SQL Server Row Level Security by Example
- Should Windows “Built-In\Administrators” Group be SQL Server SysAdmins?
- Frequent Password Expiration: Time to Revise it?
- Encrypting SQL Server Databases
- Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) in SQL Server
- 10 Facts About SQL Server Transparent Data Encryption
- Encrypting a SQL Server Database Backup
- The “Public” Database Role in SQL Server
- Policy-Based Management in SQL Server
- …check all
Check our latest software releases!
Easily generate snippets with Snippets Generator!
Secure your databases using DBA Security Advisor!
Convert static T-SQL to dynamic and vice versa with Dynamic SQL Generator.
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018) and a Udemy Instructor. He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA). Moreover, Artemakis teaches on Udemy, you can check his courses here.