Today is big day. Today, DBA Security Advisor is finally released!
It has been a long journey. Two years of research, development, testing, QA, and the list goes on!
I work with SQL Server for more than 11 years and I have seen hundreds of SQL Server installations and setups. I have seen best practices and bad practices. I have seen deep knowledge in administering SQL Server, but I have also seen naivety in administering such a powerful RDBMS and believe me, naivety in database administration is not something good.
SQL Server is a very powerful data platform and part of this power, is to allow the user to control different settings, thus making it work the best for his/her needs. However, similarly as in all systems, if these settings are misconfigured, or the proper precautions are not taken on the user’s side, then this could create possible security risks.
Take for example, the ‘Password Expiration’ option. In case you have a SQL login which is used as a service account, then this could be a reason for not to have the ‘Password Expiration’ enabled for that login. If however, you have an SQL login which is used by a physical person and the ‘Password Expiration’ option is not enabled, this increases the risk of having the password guessed more easily than in the case where the password expires every X days (i.e. every 90 days).
Another example, is using the same password as the username for SQL Logins. This is a critical security risk and you should never do this.
DBA Security Advisor, via a rich set of security checks, assesses your SQL Server instances against potential security risks and recommends solutions along with remediation scripts and methods.
Download the free 14-day trial version today! Feel free to try DBA Security Advisor! After you are convinced that it can really help you, then you can consider upgrading to the Enterprise Edition where you can have access to all the security checks as well as to all the great features of DBA Security Advisor.
Featured Online Courses
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- Introduction to Data Science and SQL Server Machine Learning
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New
- Entity Framework: Getting Started (Ultimate Beginners Guide)
- SQL Server Fundamentals (SQL Database for Beginners)
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server
- Get Started with SQL Server in 30 Minutes
Other SQL Server Security-Related Articles:
- Why You Need to Secure Your SQL Server Instances
- [DBNETLIB] [ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).] SSL Security Error – How to Resolve
- Should Windows “Built-In\Administrators” Group be SQL Server SysAdmins?
- SQL Server Row Level Security by Example
- Frequent Password Expiration: Time to Revise it?
- Policy-Based Management in SQL Server
- The “Public” Database Role in SQL Server
- Encrypting SQL Server Databases
- Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) in SQL Server
- Encrypting a SQL Server Database Backup
- …check all
Check our latest software releases!
Easily generate snippets with Snippets Generator!
Secure your databases using DBA Security Advisor!
Convert static T-SQL to dynamic and vice versa with Dynamic SQL Generator.
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018) and a Udemy Instructor. He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA). Moreover, Artemakis teaches on Udemy, you can check his courses here.