At some time in the past, I set up a maintenance plan in one SQL Server instance for rapidly tuning up a set of databases with some simple tasks such as index rebuild, etc., and I got the error message: “No global profile is configured. Specify a profile name in the @profile_name parameter”.
Whenever you set up a maintenance plan is always a good idea to add in the end the “Notify Operator” Task in order to get notified on the outcome of the maintenance plan’s execution.
Here’s a screenshot of my simple maintenance task:
Even though the first three tasks were executed successfully, when I checked the history of the job that undertakes the execution of the maintenance plan, there was an error message on the last task that is the “Notify Operator” Task.
A part of the error message is the following:
“No global profile is configured. Specify a profile name in the @profile_name parameter.”
So, what does the above error message tell us? It actually says that upon the task’s execution, it cannot find a Database Mail profile in order to use it for sending the email notification.
To overcome this problem, you can set one of the available Database Mail profiles as the default one.
In SQL Server SSMS, you can do this in the following way:
- In Management — Database Mail, double-click or right-click and choose “Configure Database Mail”. Then click on Next.
- Then click on Manage profile security.
- Click on Next.
- Then you will see a list with all the available database mail profiles. You have the option to select one of these profiles to be the Default Profile (be selecting ‘Yes’ in the combo box).
- Click on Next.
- Click on Finish.
That should do it!
At least in my scenario I tried it and worked perfectly! 🙂
Of course, the above assumes that you have at least one Database Mail profile up and working! 🙂
Until next time!
Learn more tips like this! Get the Online Course!
Check our online course titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips” (special limited-time discount included in link).
Learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
Featured Online Courses:
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals (SQL Database for Beginners)
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming
- Introduction to Data Science and SQL Server Machine Learning
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New
- Entity Framework: Getting Started (Ultimate Beginners Guide)
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server
- Get Started with SQL Server in 30 Minutes
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
Feel free to check our other relevant articles on SQL Server troubleshooting:
- How to Resolve: Cannot Connect to WMI Provider (SQL Server Configuration Manager)
- Error converting data type varchar to numeric
- Error converting data type varchar to float
- SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: Unable to connect to server ‘(local)’; SQLServerAgent cannot start)
- ORDER BY items must appear in the select list if SELECT DISTINCT is specified
- There is no SQL Server Failover Cluster Available to Join
- There is insufficient system memory in resource pool ‘internal’ to run this query.
- … all SQL Server troubleshooting articles
Featured Database Productivity Tools
Snippets Generator: Create and modify T-SQL snippets for use in SQL Management Studio, fast, easy and efficiently.
Dynamic SQL Generator: Convert static T-SQL code to dynamic and vice versa, easily and fast.
Subscribe to our newsletterand stay up to date!
Check out our latest software releases!
Check our eBooks!
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, and a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA).