In case you are trying to install a SQL Server 2008 R2 service pack in a clustered SQL Server environment, under certain circumstances, the installation might fail along with reporting something similar to the below:
Final result: The patch installer has failed to update the shared features. To determine the reason for failure, review the log files.
Exit code (Decimal): -568706566
Exit facility code: 1562
Exit error code: 14842
Exit message: Element not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070490)
Start time: …..
End time: …..
Requested action: Patch
How to Easily Resolve the Issue
The first thing you can do, in order to easily resolve this error, is to check if there are any disks in the cluster that are offline. If this is the case, you need to bring the disks back online prior to trying again.
As a side note, for the recommended practice of patching clustered SQL Server instances you can read this article.
Featured Online Courses:
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals (SQL Database for Beginners)
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming
- Introduction to Data Science and SQL Server Machine Learning
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New
- Entity Framework: Getting Started (Ultimate Beginners Guide)
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server
- Get Started with SQL Server in 30 Minutes
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
Read Also our other SQL Server Troubleshooting Tips:
Feel free to check our other relevant articles on SQL Server troubleshooting:
- Error converting data type varchar to numeric
- Error converting data type varchar to float
- SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: Unable to connect to server ‘(local)’; SQLServerAgent cannot start)
- ORDER BY items must appear in the select list if SELECT DISTINCT is specified
- There is no SQL Server Failover Cluster Available to Join
- There is insufficient system memory in resource pool ‘internal’ to run this query.
- The SELECT permission was denied on the object ‘extended_properties’, database ‘mssqlsystemresource’, schema ‘sys’.
- … all SQL Server troubleshooting articles
Featured Database Productivity Tools
Snippets Generator: Create and modify T-SQL snippets for use in SQL Management Studio, fast, easy and efficiently.
Dynamic SQL Generator: Convert static T-SQL code to dynamic and vice versa, easily and fast.
Check our latest software releases!
Easily generate SQL code snippets with Snippets Generator!
Convert static T-SQL to dynamic and vice versa with Dynamic SQL Generator.
Secure your SQL Server instances with DBA Security Advisor.
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, and a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA).