This short tip is about how to handle the following error message, in case you get it when you install SQL Server 2019 RTM: An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.
How to Resolve the Issue
There several things you can try for resolving the issue. Let’s talk about it.
What to Try First
What you can try for resolving the issue, is to copy the below msi files from the SQL Server 2019 installation media onto a temporary folder on a local drive on your machine (i.e. c:\temp).
After you copy the above files, run each one of them and when prompted to select one of the “Modify”, “Repair” or “Delete” options, choose the “Modify” option (see below example for msodbcsql).
Then make sure that you chose all components to be installed on the local hard drive:
After you complete the installation of sqlncli, msoledbsql and msodbcsql, restart the computer and try again to install SQL Server 2019.
In my case, this worked like a charm!
However, if this did not work for you, read on to check some other things you can try for solving the issue.
Uninstall Old Versions of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
Another thing you can try, is to uninstall any versions of SSMS that are older than v18.3.1, restart the computer and try again to install SQL Server 2019.
Uninstall SQL Server 2012 Native Client
Something else you can try, in case the previous tips did not help, is to uninstall Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client, restart the computer and try again to install SQL Server 2019.
A Last Thing to Try
If none of the above helped, one last thing you can try, is to copy all files from the installation media (i.e. from the mounted ISO file) to a temporary folder on your computer’s local drive. Then, launch SQL Server 2019 installation from your local drive and try again to install it.
Featured Online Courses:
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New
- Entity Framework: Getting Started (Ultimate Beginners Guide)
- SQL Server Fundamentals (SQL Database for Beginners)
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server
- Get Started with SQL Server in 30 Minutes
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
Feel free to check our other relevant articles on SQL Server troubleshooting:
- How to Resolve: The description for Event ID 1 from source msodbcsql13 cannot be found.
- How to Resolve: Bulk load data conversion error (type mismatch or invalid character for the specified codepage)…
- How to Resolve: Cannot Connect to WMI Provider (SQL Server Configuration Manager)
- Error converting data type varchar to numeric
- Error converting data type varchar to float
- SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: Unable to connect to server ‘(local)’; SQLServerAgent cannot start)
- ORDER BY items must appear in the select list if SELECT DISTINCT is specified
- There is no SQL Server Failover Cluster Available to Join
- There is insufficient system memory in resource pool ‘internal’ to run this query.
- The SELECT permission was denied on the object ‘extended_properties’, database ‘mssqlsystemresource’, schema ‘sys’.
- … all SQL Server troubleshooting articles
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date!
Check out our latest software releases!
Check out Artemakis’s eBooks!
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, and a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA).