A great CDNUG event took place on July 15, 2010! As it was the last event before summer holidays, it was a celebratory one of course!
After having some sweets and Greek frappé coffee, the event started!
Due to the nature of this event, we had two sessions. The first session, dedicated to Windows 7 Development was presented by my good friend and CDNUG member Ioannis Stavrinides (MCP, MCTS) – (Blog, Twitter). The second session was presented by me and it was dedicated to SQL Server 2008 R2, where I introduced the main features shipped with this release both for Developers and IT Pros.
Ioannis started his presentation by first introducing to us WPF. Then he showed with many live demos how developers can use WPF and the Windows API Code Pack for Microsoft .NET Framework through Visual Studio 2010, thus being able to build Jump Lists, Progress Bars, Tabbed Thumbnails and Tabbed Toolbars. Also, we saw how we can make use of the Icon Overlay feature.
Right after Ioannis’s great session, my session started taking place. During my session I talked about some of the amazing new features shipped with SQL Server 2008 R2.
Database Engine – Manageability Enhancements
- Connectivity to SQL Azure.
- Data-tier Application Upgrade.
- SQL Server Utility.
- The VIA protocol has been deprecated.
- Option to turn on and off poison message handling on a queue.
- A queue that has poison message turned off will not be disabled after consecutive transaction rollbacks.
Master Data Services
- The technology, tools, and processes required to create and maintain consistent and accurate lists of master data.
- A powerful platform that you can use to develop and deploy complex event processing (CEP) applications.
Reporting Services – Features
- “Grab and Go” reporting experience enabled through the Report Part Gallery.
- Support for maps and geospatial visualizations with integration to Bing maps and support for SQL spatial data types.
- Additional visualizations including indicators, sparklines and data bars.
- Support for consuming SharePoint lists and PowerPivot models as data sources.
- Support for Madison and SQL Azure data sources.
- Render any report as a data source to PowerPivot or other applications through ATOM data feeds.
Report Builder 3
- Integration with Bing maps.
- …and much more!
SQL Server PowerPivot
- An Add-on for Excel 2010 / SharePoint 2010.
- Brings the full power of SQL Server Analysis Services right into Excel.
- In-memory column based compression.
- Millions of rows of data can now be stored, sorted & aggregated.
- Support for a wide variety of sources.
- Rich set of mathematical functionality.
- Existing functions already in Excel
- Data Analysis eXpressions (DAX)
Along with the presentation I performed many demos, showing live how developers / IT Pros can take advantage of these new features and be more productive with even less effort. Some of the live demos included SQL Server Utility Explorer, Data-Tier Applications design and deployment, Master Data Services, and of course, the series of demos could not be considered as completed without showing a live demo of SQL Server PowerPivot!
The event was a success and we really enjoyed it!
See you at another event soon!
Learn essential SQL Server Administration tips !
Enroll to the Online Course!
Check our online course on Udemy titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips” (special limited-time discount included in link).
Learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
Upgrade your Tech Skills – Learn all about Azure SQL Database
Enroll to our online course on Udemy titled “Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners” and get lifetime access to high-quality lessons and hands-on guides about all aspects of Azure SQL Database.
Featured Online Courses:
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- Working with Python on Windows and SQL Server Databases
- Introduction to Computer Programming for Beginners
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- Introduction to SQL Server Machine Learning Services
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server Databases
- Learn How to Install and Start Using SQL Server in 30 Mins
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
Check our SQL Server troubleshooting articles:
- The multi-part identifier … could not be bound
- Where are temporary tables stored in SQL Server?
- How to Patch a SQL Server Failover Cluster
- Operating System Error 170 (Requested Resource is in use)
- Installing SQL Server 2016 on Windows Server 2012 R2: Rule KB2919355 failed
- The operation failed because either the specified cluster node is not the owner of the group, or the node is not a possible owner of the group
- A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process.
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack Installation Fails – Element not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070490)
- There is insufficient system memory in resource pool ‘internal’ to run this query.
- Argument data type ntext is invalid for argument …
- Fix: VS Shell Installation has Failed with Exit Code 1638
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- … more SQL Server troubleshooting articles
Recommended Software Tools
Snippets Generator: Create and modify T-SQL snippets for use in SQL Management Studio, fast, easy and efficiently.
Dynamic SQL Generator: Convert static T-SQL code to dynamic and vice versa, easily and fast.
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel (SQLNetHubTV)!
Check our SQL Server Administration articles.
Check out our latest software releases!
Check our eBooks!
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA). Moreover, Artemakis teaches on Udemy, you can check his courses here.