When you run the SQL Server 2005 setup on a Windows cluster (i.e. installing or uninstalling SQL Server), you might get an error message like the following: Setup failed to start on the remote machine. Check the Task scheduler event log on the remote machine.
I have experienced this error message running SQL Server 2005 cluster setup on a Windows Server 2003 R2 cluster (yes, I know it’s old, I was uninstalling SQL Server 🙂
If you get this error make sure that:
- The “Task Scheduler” Windows service is running on all cluster nodes.
- You are not logged in remotely on any of the cluster nodes except from the one on which you are running the SQL Server cluster setup.
After you ensure the above, you can re-run the setup and try again.
P.S.: Note that extended support for SQL Server 2005 ended on April 12, 2016. As of that, if you are interested in installing or upgrading SQL Server, consider using one of the latest SQL Server versions such as SQL Server 2016 or SQL Server 2017 and thus take advantage of all those amazing benefits and performance improvements they offer.
Feel free to check our other relevant articles on SQL Server troubleshooting:
- Error converting data type varchar to numeric
- Error converting data type varchar to float
- SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: Unable to connect to server ‘(local)’; SQLServerAgent cannot start)
- ORDER BY items must appear in the select list if SELECT DISTINCT is specified
- There is no SQL Server Failover Cluster Available to Join
- There is insufficient system memory in resource pool ‘internal’ to run this query.
- The SELECT permission was denied on the object ‘extended_properties’, database ‘mssqlsystemresource’, schema ‘sys’.
- … all SQL Server troubleshooting articles
Featured Database Productivity Tools
Snippets Generator: Create and modify T-SQL snippets for use in SQL Management Studio, fast, easy and efficiently.
Dynamic SQL Generator: Convert static T-SQL code to dynamic and vice versa, easily and fast.
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date!
Check out our latest software releases!
Check out Artemakis’s eBooks!
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)