Is it possible to install 32-bit SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services on a 64-bit Computer/Windows OS while keeping the 64-bit version of the rest of SQL Server features?
The answer is yes!
The Scenario about Installing 32-bit SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services on a 64-bit machine/Windows OS
Well, here’s the story:
I recently installed SQL Server 2005 on a 64-bit Windows Server 2003 OS.
This was done within the context of setting up a test environment for an ASP .NET application. As the OS was a 64-bit architecture I installed the 64-bit version of SQL Server as well.
Though, the ASP .NET application was compiled on .NET Framework 1.1 and IIS 6.0 was setup to use this version of the .NET Framework. To this end, when the installation of the reporting services started, I got the message that it was not possible to install the 64-bit version of the SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services because of using .NET Framework 1.1 for IIS 6.0.
Though, SQL Server did not dissapoint me! 🙂 With some simple steps, it was very easy to install the 32-bit version of the Reporting Services while keeping installed the 64-bit versions of the rest of SQL Server features (i.e. Database Engine, Analysis Services, etc).
The following MSDN Link provides excellent instructions on how to perform this!
What about SQL Server 2008?
The procedure is almost identical for SQL Server 2008 with the difference that when you are going to install Reporting Services, before starting the installation process, from within SQL Server 2008 Installation Center, click on “Options” and select the “x86″ Processor Type“, then click on “Installation” and after selecting “New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation” install only Reporting Services.
Learn More Tips like this – Enroll to the Course!
Check our online course titled “Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers” (special limited-time discount included in link).
Sharpen your SQL Server database programming skills via a large set of tips on T-SQL and database development techniques. The course, among other, features over than 30 live demonstrations!
Upgrade your Tech Skills – Learn all about Azure SQL Database
Enroll to our online course on Udemy titled “Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners” and get lifetime access to high-quality lessons and hands-on guides about all aspects of Azure SQL Database.Enroll Now with Discount!
Featured Online Courses:
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- Working with Python on Windows and SQL Server Databases
- Introduction to Computer Programming for Beginners
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- Introduction to SQL Server Machine Learning Services
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server Databases
- Learn How to Install and Start Using SQL Server in 30 Mins
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
Related SQL Server Administration Articles:
- SQL Server Installation and Setup Best Practices
- Essential SQL Sever Administration Tips
- How to Patch a Standalone SQL Server Instance
- The SQL Server Browser Service and UDP Port 1434
- The Maximum Number of Concurrent Connections Setting in SQL Server
- Top 10 SQL Server DBA Daily Tasks List
- There is no SQL Server Failover Cluster Available to Join
- Encrypting a SQL Server Database Backup
- How to Resolve: The feature “Scale-out deployment” is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel (SQLNetHub TV)
Easily generate snippets with Snippets Generator!
Secure your databases using DBA Security Advisor!
Generate dynamic T-SQL scripts with Dynamic SQL Generator!
Check our latest software releases!
Check our eBooks!
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA). Moreover, Artemakis teaches on Udemy, you can check his courses here.