Under certain circumstances, when working in SQL Server Management Studio, you might get the error message “Property SpaceAvailabable is not available for Database ‘[tempdb]’“.
Why I got this message?
Most of the times, you might get the above message because something else happened prior to the action that triggered the error message.
For example, maybe the disk got full, or certain permissions might have been revoked, or there is blocking, etc.
The exact error message is the below:
TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
Cannot show requested dialog.
Cannot show requested dialog. (SqlMgmt)
Property SpaceAvailabable is not available for Database ‘[tempdb]’. This property may not exist for this object, or may not be retrievable due to insufficient access rights (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)
How to Resolve the Issue
There are certain actions you can take, towards resolving the issue. Since the root cause might be different in each case, there is a list of of suggested things you can check:
- Check that there is no issue with the disk used by TempDB data and log files (i.e. disk full, etc.)
- Confirm that there is no issue with the disk(s) used by the rest of the system databases (msdb, model, master)
- Verify that you have the necessary permissions on the SQL Server instance
- Check and resolve any blocking issues on the SQL Server instance
- Check the Windows Event Viewer for any issues related to SQL Server
- If you are connected to the SQL Server instance from a client PC, you can try accessing the instance locally from within the server
If nothing from the above resolves the issue, as a last resort, and after you get the required approvals and downtime from Management, you can try restarting the SQL Server instance, or in the case of a SQL Failover Cluster Instance, fail over to another node.
Check our Master Class: Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
Check our 6-hour online course on Udemy titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips” (special limited-time discount included in link).
Learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
Featured Online Courses:
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips (new)
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming (new)
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New
- Entity Framework: Getting Started (Ultimate Beginners Guide)
- SQL Server Fundamentals (SQL Database for Beginners)
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server
- Get Started with SQL Server in 30 Minutes
Related SQL Server Administration Articles:
- Essential SQL Sever Administration Tips
- How to Patch a Standalone SQL Server Instance
- The SQL Server Browser Service and UDP Port 1434
- The Maximum Number of Concurrent Connections Setting in SQL Server
- Top 10 SQL Server DBA Daily Tasks List
- There is no SQL Server Failover Cluster Available to Join
- Encrypting a SQL Server Database Backup
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)