If you are trying to install SQL Server 2016 on Windows Server 2012 R2, under certain circumstances, you might get the below error message: Rule “KB2919355 Installation” failed. Read the article below, in order to get useful suggestions on how you can overcome such issue.
The Error Message
The below, is the exact error message you get:
KB2919355 Check Failed. If you have installed KB2919355, please make sure you have restarted your machine. For more information, you can visit https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2919355/
How to Resolve the Issue
The first logical thing to try is of course to install the reported set of patches under the name “KB2919355”.
However, when you try to install the above patch, you might get an error message as well, just like the below:
“This update is not applicable for you computer”
So, what do you do?
A possible reason for not being able to install the patch, is that it is missing another prerequisite patch: KB2919442
I know, all this prerequisites thing can be a little bit annoying sometimes but what else can we do? 🙂
So, in order to overcome the issue and be able to install SQL Server 2016 on your Windows Server 2012 R2, you can try first the below set of actions:
Step 1: Install patch KB2919442
Step 2: Install patch KB2919355.
Note that KB2919355 is not a single patch but a package of KBs which, as provided in Microsoft’s instructions, need to be installed in the following order:
Note about Step 2: Almost each one of the patches will require to reboot the computer after installation. Prior to each reboot, first make sure that you don’t have any applications open or any unsaved work.
Step 3: Try again to install SQL Server
After following the above steps, you can try again to install SQL Server. Hopefully, you will manage to successfully perform the installation.
Learn more tips like this! Enroll to the Online Course!
Check our 6-hour online course on Udemy titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips” (special limited-time discount included in link).
Learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
A Word About Windows and SQL Server Updates
It is critical that you regularly check, properly test and if all OK, install Windows updates (not just security updates or critical updates) and SQL Server service packs and cumulative updates on your database servers. Don’t leave your servers unpatched, as this can create different issues, for which you may find yourself struggling to find the root cause for an unexpected issue for days, if not even for weeks. Regarding the latest SQL Server patching info, please check our free online service “SQL Server Service Pack and Cumulative Update Info (free service)”
Featured Online Courses:
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips (new)
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming (new)
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New
- Entity Framework: Getting Started (Ultimate Beginners Guide)
- SQL Server Fundamentals (SQL Database for Beginners)
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server
- Get Started with SQL Server in 30 Minutes
Related Error Messages and ways to Resolve them:
- Operating System Error 170 (Requested Resource is in use)
- There is no SQL Server Failover Cluster Available to Join
- Setup failed to start on the remote machine. Check the Task scheduler event log on the remote machine.
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack Installation Fails – Element not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070490)
- Could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo, Version=10.0.0.0, …
- The operation failed because either the specified cluster node is not the owner of the group, or the node is not a possible owner of the group
- … more SQL Server troubleshooting articles
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date!
Check out our latest software releases!
Check out Artemakis’s eBooks!
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, and a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA).