In this article, we will talk about SQL Server Express Edition, its characteristics and limitations, and how you can download it and install it on a new Windows environment, along with installing the latest version of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).
What is SQL Server Express Edition?
SQL Server Express Edition, is a special, free edition of SQL Server, which is ideal for development and production for desktop, web, and small server applications. However, even free, this edition of SQL Server, has certain limitations.
Some of the main limitations are:
- 1GB maximum RAM used by the SQL Server Database Engine
- Maximum size per relational database is 10 GB
- SQL Agent is not included
- Maximum buffer pool memory per instance, is limited to 1410 MB
- Maximum memory for Columnstore segment cache per instance of SQL Server Database Engine is 352 MB
- Maximum memory-optimized data size per database in SQL Server Database Engine is 352 MB
You can check all the limitations in SQL Server 2019 Express Edition, by comparing all editions of SQL Server 2019, on the following MS Docs article.
Minimum requirements for installing SQL Server 2019 Express Edition
Now, about the minimum requirements for installing SQL Server 2019 Express Edition, the main requirements are:
- Minimum 6 GB of available hard-disk space
- Minimum 512 MB RAM
- Minimum x64 Processor: 1.4 GHz
- Windows 10 TH1 1507 or greater
- Windows Server 2016 or greater
You can learn more about all the requirements for installing SQL Server 2019 Express edition, at the following MS Docs article.
Minimum requirements for installing the latest version of SSMS
About the minimum requirements for installing the latest version of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), these are:
- 1.8 GHz or faster x86 processor
- Minimum 2 GB of RAM
- Minimum of 2 GB up to 10 GB of available space
- Windows 8.1 (64-bit) or Windows 10 (64-bit) version 1607 (10.0.14393) or later
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit) or a later Windows Server version (64-bit)
For downloading the latest version of SSMS, as well as, for checking the full list of requirements, you can visit the tool’s official web page.
Watch our Video on YouTube on How to Install SQL Server 2019 Express Edition and SSMS
Enroll to our Online Course: SQL Server Fundamentals (SQL Database for Beginners)
Do not miss to check out our Online Course titled “SQL Server Fundamentals (SQL Database for Beginners)” .
In this beginner-level course, you will learn how to install SQL Server Database on both Windows and Linux, and how you can start doing basic tasks in SQL Server, using its free client tools SQL Server Management Studio, and Azure Data Studio.
Featured Online Courses:
- AI Essentials: A Beginner’s Guide to Artificial Intelligence
- SQL Server 2022: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Working with Python on Windows and SQL Server Databases
- Introduction to Azure Database for MySQL
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- Introduction to Computer Programming for Beginners
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- Data Management for Beginners – Main Principles
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
- What are SQL Server Always On Availability Groups?
- How to Patch a SQL Server Failover Cluster
- How to Add a Database to a SQL Server Availability Group Using T-SQL
- Top 10 SQL Server DBA Daily Tasks List
- The “Public” Database Role in SQL Server
- Encrypting a SQL Server Database Backup
- Learn Azure Data Lake Analytics by Example
- Azure Cosmos DB: Learn by Example
- How to Create an Azure SQL Server Virtual Machine
- How to Backup a SQL Server Database from On-Premises to Azure Storage
- … all our SQL Server Administration Articles
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date with our latest articles on SQL Server and related technologies!
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou, a distinguished Senior Database and Software Architect, brings over 20 years of expertise to the IT industry. A Certified Database, Cloud, and AI professional, he earned the Microsoft Data Platform MVP title for nine consecutive years (2009-2018). As the founder of SQLNetHub and GnoelixiAI Hub, Artemakis is dedicated to sharing his knowledge and democratizing education on various fields such as: Databases, Cloud, AI, and Software Development. His commitment to simplicity and knowledge sharing defines his impactful presence in the tech community.