SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) for some time now, is not included in the SQL Server media. Instead, it is being provided as a standalone free program which can be downloaded from Microsoft’s website.
The decoupling between SSMS and SQL Server Installation Media
This is a good thing and I personally agree with this approach, because it allows Microsoft to update and enhance SSMS more frequently and making it generally available directly to the consumer. SSMS version 17.3, in addition to bug fixes and enhancements, featured two exciting new features: (i) Import Flat File Wizard, and (ii) XEvent Profile.
The Import Flat File Wizard
In this article, we are going to talk about the Import Flat File Wizard.
The Import Flat File Wizard uses the Microsoft Program Synthesis using Examples (PROSE) SDK. This SDK allows the wizard to identify patterns in the flat files and propose table structures for the data to be imported. If the user wants, she or he can modify this table.
Check our course on Udemy: How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server
Learn how to import and export data in SQL Server, via all the available built-in tools such as SSIS, BCP and more!Enroll Now with Discount
A step by step example
Let’s see a step-by-step example of how we can import a CSV file into SQL Server using the Import Flat File Wizard in SQL Server Management Studio v17.3.
First let’s take a look at the CSV file we want to import:
Then, if we right-click on a database and select “Tasks – Import Flat File…“, we are presented with the Import Flat File Wizard’s dialog:
The next step is to select the flat file to be imported and verify/modify the new table name that will be created by the import process:
Then, you are presented with a preview of the data that will be imported to the new table:
In the next dialog, if desirable, you can modify the columns of the table:
The last dialog summarizes the actions to be performed:
And that’s it! Now the data has been imported into the new table in the selected database:
Let’s take a look at the table contents:
Strengthen you SQL Server Development Skills – Enroll to our Online Course!
Check our online course titled “Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers”
(special limited-time discount included in link).
Via the course, you will sharpen your SQL Server database programming skills via a large set of tips on T-SQL and database development techniques. The course, among other, features over than 30 live demonstrations!
Recommended Online Courses:
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- Introduction to Data Science and SQL Server Machine Learning
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server Databases
- Learn How to Install and Start Using SQL Server in 30 Mins
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
Check our Related SQL Server Development Articles:
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server
- The set identity_insert Command in SQL Server
- Listing all Tables of a Linked Server’s Database
- How to Import and Export Unstructured Data in SQL Server – FileTables
- How to Import and Export Unstructured Data in SQL Server – FILESTREAM
- How to Import and Export Unstructured Data in SQL Server – The IMAGE Datatype
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date!
Check out our latest software releases!
Check out Artemakis’s eBooks!
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, and a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA).