The Scenario for Inserting Leading Characters
How to Insert Leading Characters for the Above Scenario
--Create Development/Test Database CREATE DATABASE [DevDB] GO --Use Database USE [DevDB] GO --Create Table CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TestID]( [ID] [varchar](10) NULL ) ON [PRIMARY] GO --Populate Table With Data INSERT INTO dbo.TestID VALUES ('1'), ('12'), ('123'), ('1234'), ('12345'), ('123456'), ('1234567'), ('12345678'), ('123456789') GO --Test the Transformation Logic (number 10 is the ID column size) SELECT ID,RIGHT(('0000000000'+ID),10) as FilteredID FROM dbo.TestID GO --Execute the Transformation Logic (number 10 is the ID column size) UPDATE dbo.TestID SET ID=RIGHT(('0000000000000'+ID),10) GO
Learn essential SQL Server development tips! Enroll to our Online Course!
Check our online course titled “Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers”
(special limited-time discount included in link).
Sharpen your SQL Server database programming skills via a large set of tips on T-SQL and database development techniques. The course, among other, features over than 30 live demonstrations!
Featured Online Courses:
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- Introduction to Data Science and SQL Server Machine Learning
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server Databases
- Learn How to Install and Start Using SQL Server in 30 Mins
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
- SQL Server 2016 Top Features
- The set identity_insert Command in SQL Server
- The Import Flat File Wizard in SSMS v17.3
- Listing all Tables of a Linked Server’s Database
- How to Import and Export Unstructured Data in SQL Server – FileTables
- How to Import and Export Unstructured Data in SQL Server – FILESTREAM
- How to Import and Export Unstructured Data in SQL Server – The IMAGE Datatype
Did you find this article useful and interesting? Feel free to leave your comment!
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date with our latest articles on SQL Server and related technologies!
Check out our latest software releases! All our software tools have free trial versions to download.
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, and a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA).