In this article, we will be discussing about the “A transport-level error has occurred when sending the request to the server” error message, you might get in SQL Server. This article’s purpose is to explain the above connectivity error and ways of resolving it.
Why you might get the “transport-level” error in SQL Server
In some cases (upon “wrong” actions or network problems 🙂 we might get the following error in SQL Server:
A transport-level error has occurred when sending the request to the server. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 – No process is on the other end of the pipe.)
As the error message indicates, there is a connectivity problem with a previously opened session in SQL Server.
As an example, consider that you have a query window opened. This query window is connected to a database (the default database is “master”). To this end, there is an established connection to that database, that is a session. At a lower level in SQL Server, there is an spid representing this session.
If this spid is forcibly terminated (i.e. by using the SQL Server KILL function, or after an unexpected network problem) and though you are still trying to use this session (i.e. execute a query) you will most probably get the above connectivity error.
How to resolve the issue
A solution in this case, is to close the query window and open a new one. To this end a new session will be opened and will be assigned a new spid. After that, you will be able to use the database properly.
The above connectivity error might arise not only when using the query window, but other SQL Server services that might access SQL Server objects as well. It is a general connectivity error and the best solution for resolving it is to start a new session in order for the connectivity to the specific SQL Server object(s) to be restored/re-initiated.
Strengthen your SQL Server Administration Skills – Enroll to our Online Course!
Check our online course on Udemy titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips”
(special limited-time discount included in link).
Via the course, you will learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
Featured Online Courses:
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- Introduction to Data Science and SQL Server Machine Learning
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server Databases
- Learn How to Install and Start Using SQL Server in 30 Mins
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
- Best Way to Learn SQL Server – A Suggestion
- All our SQL Server Training-related articles
- What’s New in SQL Server 2019
- New Online Course – SQL Server 2019: What’s New
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior SQL Server Architect, Author, a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018) and a Udemy Instructor. He has over 15 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub and TechHowTos.com. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Artemakis currently serves as the President of the Cyprus .NET User Group (CDNUG) and the International .NET Association Country Leader for Cyprus (INETA). Moreover, Artemakis teaches on Udemy, you can check his courses here.