When you try to connect to a SQL Server database from a client application, under certain circumstances, you might get the below error message: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 0 – No process is on the other end of the pipe.)
If you get this error message, don’t worry. It is quite descriptive and even more, the solution to this issue is quite simple.
Read on, in order to learn how you can resolve the issue.
How to Resolve the Issue
There are 2 things you can try in order to overcome this problem. Therefore, there are two checks you need to perform, in order to take corrective actions.
Strengthen your SQL Server Administration Skills – Enroll to our Online Course!
Check our online course on Udemy titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips”
(special limited-time discount included in link).
Via the course, you will learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
The first check involves ensuring that the maximum number of concurrent connections is set to 0. In order to check this, in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), right-click on instance, connections and check the value for the maximum number of concurrent connections option. If it is set to 0, it means unlimited.
The second check, involves ensuring that in your connection string, in the client application, along with the rest of the settings, the database name is correct:
string connString="Server=[SERVER_NAME]; Database=[DATABASE_NAME]; User ID = [USER_NAME]; Password=[PASSWORD]";
For example, in the case where you specified a database that does not exist, even though the connection to the SQL Server instance will be established, the provider will not be able to find the database thus resulting to the above error message.
I hope you found this tip useful and you managed to resolve the issue.
Featured Online Courses:
- AI Essentials: A Beginner’s Guide to Artificial Intelligence
- SQL Server 2022: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Working with Python on Windows and SQL Server Databases
- Introduction to Azure Database for MySQL
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- Introduction to Computer Programming for Beginners
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- Data Management for Beginners – Main Principles
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
Check our other related Data Access-related articles.
Check out our latest software releases!
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date!
Check out Artemakis’s eBooks!
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior Database and Software Architect, Certified Database, Cloud and AI professional, Author, a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 20 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Moreover, Artemakis teaches on Udemy, you can check his courses here.