So, a logical question you might have, is what is Microsoft’s passwordless option and how can it help you?
The inconvenience of maintaining multiple passwords
Let’s face it: nobody likes passwords! We need to manage so many passwords for just about anything!
On the one hand, using the same, easy to remember password everywhere is not a security best practice.
One the other hand, using different complex passwords for all those online services for example, makes it nearly impossible to efficiently manage the passwords, having as a result, to often forget our passwords.
The passwordless option for your Microsoft account
Now, you can easily enable the passwordless option for your Microsoft account and thus take advantage of this new security feature offered by Microsoft.
Besides the fact that this option makes it easier for users to access their Microsoft accounts, it is also more secure, since it replaces passwords with a more secure authentication factor, i.e. pins, fingerprints via Windows Hello, Microsoft Authenticator, etc.
Hoes does it work?
When you enable passwordless login for your Microsoft account, given the fact that you have successful set the prerequisites as well, the next time you will be accessing your account, instead of entering a password, you will be prompted on your device (i.e. in the Microsoft Authenticator app) to approve the sign-in attempt. If you approve it, then you will be able to access your account.
However, enabling the passwordless sign in option, has some prerequisites that need to be met.
How can you set it up and prerequisites
The first step prior enabling passwordless sign in for your Microsoft account, is to ensure that you have the Microsoft Authenticator app installed on your Android or iPhone device and linked to your personal Microsoft account.
The next step, is to turn on the “Passwordless account” option from within you Microsoft account’s “Security“, then “Advanced security options” and then you can find this option in the “Additional security” section, that is the same section from where you can enable Two-step verification.
Learn more about Microsoft Passwordless
You can learn more about Microsoft Passwordless in the official Microsoft Security blog.
Featured Online Courses:
- Introduction to Azure Database for MySQL
- Working with Python on Windows and SQL Server Databases
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- Introduction to Computer Programming for Beginners
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- Introduction to SQL Server Machine Learning Services
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server Databases
- Learn How to Install and Start Using SQL Server in 30 Mins
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
- Introduction to Azure Database for MySQL (Course Preview)
- Azure Cosmos DB: Learn by Example
- Learn Azure SQL Database: Creating your First Database
- How to Create an Azure SQL Server Virtual Machine
- How to Backup a SQL Server Database from On-Premises to Azure Storage
- Learn Azure Data Lake Analytics by Example
- What is Azure Advisor?
- … all our Azure-related articles
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel (SQLNetHub TV)
Easily generate snippets with Snippets Generator!
Secure your databases using DBA Security Advisor!
Generate dynamic T-SQL scripts with Dynamic SQL Generator!
Check our latest software releases!
Check our eBooks!
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)
Artemakis Artemiou is a Senior Database and Software Architect, Certified Database, Cloud and AI professional, Author, a 9 Times Microsoft Data Platform MVP (2009-2018). He has over 20 years of experience in the IT industry in various roles. Artemakis is the founder of SQLNetHub. Artemakis is the creator of the well-known software tools Snippets Generator and DBA Security Advisor. Also, he is the author of many eBooks on SQL Server. Moreover, Artemakis teaches on Udemy, you can check his courses here.