Sometimes, under certain circumstances, when trying to edit an existing or create a new maintenance plan in SQL Server, using SSMS, just when you try to save the maintenance plan, it might happen to get the error message “No Description Found“.
How to Resolve the “No Description Found” Error
There is a series of things that you can try, towards resolving the “No Description Found” error.
What to Try First
To this end, you can first try the following:
- Make sure that your SQL Server instance is patched with the latest Service Pack
- Make sure that the version of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) that you are using, supports the SQL Server instance version you are connecting to. For example SSMS v18 supports connecting up to SQL Server 2008/R2.
If nothing of the above helps, there is something else you can try.
What to Try if the Above did not Help
SQL Server Management Studio, among other, uses the COM Library, that is why after all, sometimes ole32.dll is mentioned in different stack trace error messages.
To this end, you can try re-registering ole32.dll on the client PC on which you are using SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) (not the server) and experiencing the “No Description Found” error when managing a maintenance plan.
Therefore, you can try running the below command on the Windows command prompt:
Therefore, after re-registering ole32.dll, you can try restarting SSMS, and then try again to create or manage the maintenance plan, hopefully this time, without any errors.
Check my Online Courses
I try to explain technical stuff with simplicity and with a “straight to the point” mentality. If you liked my article and also liked my approach of explaining tech stuff, then you should definitely check my online courses.
I regularly update all my courses with additional educational material in order to keep them up to date, and after you enroll to a course, among other, you get lifetime access.
Learn How to Maintain Healthy SQL Server Instances and Databases!
Check our 6-hour online course on Udemy titled “Essential SQL Server Administration Tips” (special limited-time discount included in link).
Learn essential hands-on SQL Server Administration tips on SQL Server maintenance, security, performance, integration, error handling and more. Many live demonstrations and downloadable resources included!
Recommended Online Courses
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- The Philosophy and Fundamentals of Computer Programming
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New
- Entity Framework: Getting Started (Complete Beginners Guide)
- SQL Server Fundamentals (SQL Database for Beginners)
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server
- Get Started with SQL Server in 30 Minutes
Rate this article:
Reference: SQLNetHub.com (https://www.sqlnethub.com)